Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Life in a Box

Well, tomorrow is the big move. Actually, it's the big send. I'm sending 90% of my stuff up North, but I'm staying here for about six more weeks. My wedding is in six weeks. Wow.

So it's been a pretty long night of packing and watching it snow...really? It was a productive day despite the ridiculous weather.

I finished the headboard!!! :)

Here are the before and after shots--


Before


After!!!

I am so pleased with it! Thanks Momma, for all of your help! :)

*******************************

As I was packing tonight, I got out my "box of really important stuff"; the box that houses my banking information, my extra checks, a folder of cards I've received over the years that make me happy, and my passport, international visa and social security card. I took out the last three items in that list and put them in what will now serve as my nightstand: a shoebox. I also picked up my Bible and put it in the box next to my passport. I stopped and looked at my sister and said, "Why is that my life right there??"

It's true. My life in a box. My passport, my Bible, and a box. So fitting for every stage of my life.

My Bible.

My family has been in ministry since before I was born. My parents were associate pastors of a church 30 days after their wedding day. Along came my sister and I few years later. Ministry is all we have ever known.

My passport.

Missions. Travel. International ministry. There is nothing like having church in the Philippines. There is nothing like chicken adobo and rice. There is nothing like that smell that greets you as you walk off the plane in Manila. It's a mixture of pollution, heat, dirt, rubber, and the tropics...and it's the most amazing smell in the world.

The box.

As I have said before, I am a gypsy. I make anywhere home with whatever I find in whatever box I choose to unpack. I pack up again in whatever box that comes to hand when the time comes to move on.

Three tangible things that represent my life so completely. There is One more element to my life that never changes. Intangible and unseen, God has always been along with me, watching over me and guiding me on every adventure on which I have embarked. He has helped me determine the priorities for my life.
My Bible. My passport. And a box.

1 comment:

  1. Have box. Will travel.

    And looking back on the NEW headboard-- which is positively spectacular, by the way:
    1. I painted.
    2. You repainted it. Remember.
    3. You glued.
    4. I reglued. And basically, in the very same place you had glued!
    5. You clear coated.
    6. You stapled.

    I'd have to say that you can honestly say of yourself, "I made this!" Whoa! You craftin' rock!

    YOu should share the link where you got the inspiration for this work of art.

    Love,
    Momma

    ReplyDelete