Thursday, February 10, 2011

Wedding-ed or Married?

Sick day with my one of my nanny kiddos… Lots of time to get wedding things done that I’ve been putting off. The ground is still covered in icy snow, but the sun is out today! The weather forecast for the next few days shows a warming trend and I could not be happier!! Spring is on the way and with it my wedding!

Flowers. Check.

Bridesmaids dress. Check. (FINALLY)

Bouquet. Check.

Bridesmaids’ gifts. Check.

Reception fare. Check.

Music and musicians. Check.

Whew!! It’s been quite the roller coaster, but I think we might actually be on the other side of all the craziness. My saving grace has been my mother, my sister, and my precious friends who never fail to help me forget all the worries and stress.

There are a lot of responsibilities that come with wearing this gorgeous ring, and very few of them have to do with pulling off a fabulous wedding (which I fully intend to do).




Many people say that a wedding ring is a sign of unending love, the no beginning, no end circle is thought to symbolize unity and oneness. Some believe that the reason the wedding ring is worn on the third finger is because the vein that is in that finger leads directly to the heart.

For me, wearing this ring means I have a lot of new jobs in my life: taking care of a home, a husband, a marriage. It means loving someone, the same person, every single day of our life unconditionally. It means making him happy even when I don’t really feel like it. It means putting someone else above myself.

In all my wedding planning, all the emails, all the phone calls, all the ordering and choosing, I have determined that I will not allow myself to be, as my mother says, “wedding-ed.” A marriage has so little to do with a wedding that if we were all honest, there really is no need for all the fuss. A preacher, a marriage license, and the vows. That’s all it really takes.

Yes, my wedding is going to be the most perfect day of my life. Some may not find it as fabulous as I will, but really, it's not about anyone else except my darling Corey and me. Everything I do for this perfect day, I do for us, because it's our life together that is my focus. Our marriage, not our wedding.

Sometimes it's not so easy to keep this perspective, but thankfully I have good people guiding me and helping me blaze this new trail towards marriage. I have complete confidence that these next few months of my life will be the most wonderful I've ever experienced.

Just have to get through this crazy wedding for that life change! :)

1 comment:

  1. The man you marry is all the gift you need. The marriage is the gift you give your good husband every day, "from this time forward."

    Covenant. Eternal. Let no man put asunder this oldest of God's institutions: marriage.

    Love,
    Wife of the best husband in the world
    [30 glorious married (not wedding-ed) years]

    ReplyDelete