Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Thundersnow

It’s a perfect snow day. It’s all gloomy and dark outside, so my sister and I are keeping warm and taking advantage of our inability to go to work. I made a fabulous breakfast and a whole pot of coffee. I’ve never heard of thundersnow, but that’s what the weather man is predicting. Your guess is as good as mine.

I got some wedding stuff done today. I feel accomplished! You see, I am no event planner. Never have been. I just say: Here, this is pretty, somebody make this. Most of the time my mom and sister’s questions are answered with: I don’t care, whatever you think looks pretty. :) Just get me down the aisle, let me wear the pretty dress and the ring, and take me on a fabulous trip…please and thank you.

My mom has worked countless hours on my wedding, at my request of course. She is single handedly addressing and mailing all of my invitations. She is making my wedding dress (which is fabulous I must say). She is making my going away dress. She’s making her MOB dress. She’s making my sister’s MOH dress. No, she is not making a dress for my dad. Mom has worked and reworked, and worked and reworked the reception menu. She has daily been watching for certain items to go on sale for this and that to do with the wedding. She researched and wrote all the information for the bridesmaids’ dresses.

And all of this she has done, as she says, as a labor of love for me and my amazing fiancé.

She deals with every nervous breakdown I have with grace and encouragement. She keeps me going. She always tells me that “Everything will be fine, sweetie.” And she’s always right. She is quite possibly the most amazing woman I know. I can’t imagine doing this whole wedding thing without her.

And that’s when I do start imagining.

A dear friend of mine recently loss his precious mother-in-law to be. He and his beautiful fiancée are excitedly awaiting their fall wedding, and in the midst of their excitement, their planning, their happiness, tragedy snuck in.

It’s simple really, the purpose of this post. It’s reminder to be thankful .

My mom frequently reminds me, “Sweetie, tomorrow is not promised to us.” And it’s true. Who knows what tomorrow holds? When tragedy touches my life, I am easily reminded of all the things I should have done. All the compliments I should have paid. All the hugs I should have given. Should have.

I know we can’t live in the past, we have to move on with our lives and keep on keepin’ on. But we should never allow a tragedy to not affect us. Every situation that comes our way is a test, an obstacle that we must overcome and we must allow it to change us as a person. We must accept that change, embrace it. We must allow tragedy, betrayal, emotion hurt and painful decisions to bring about a change in our make up. Bitterness is not an option. The change that we allow to take hold of us must always be positive.

Bitterness is not an option. Betterness, however, is the best option. Choose to be better. Choose to be thankful. Choose to give out all those hugs, all those compliments; all those things you should do, do them. Choose to be better.

The snow is still falling, pouring really. The sky is still gloomy. The sun is way far above all of these clouds, but it’s still there, waiting to come out again and shower us in light and warmth.

Find your sunshine today and remember to be thankful, it might just change your life. :)

Enjoy the snow day! :)

1 comment:

  1. Right: It won't snow always. The sun will come out and melt the snow. Winter turns to spring. Summer to fall.

    The law of the harvest is, "You reap what you sow." Sow in gratitude. Reap gratitude.

    And life is not promised to any one of us. Live each present day as fully as you can. It's a gift.

    Life change choices.

    Love,
    Momma

    ReplyDelete