Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Love As Defined by....Me :)

"Love comes to those who still hope although they've been disappointed
To those who still believe although they've been betrayed,
To those who still love although they've been hurt before."
-Unknown

Peter and I thought alike I feel. He once asked Jesus how many times you're supposed to forgive someone. "Seven times?" he asked. Jesus astonished Peter by telling him, "Seventy times seven, Peter." Seriously? Yep. That's for real.

There are so many times when I'm just ready to give up. Throw up my hands and say "Forget it!" really, really loud so all my neighbors will hear me. Sometimes I think that might make me feel better. But here's the thing. Running away from the things that hurt us will never solve the problem.

So what, you just let the world walk all over you? No. That's not the answer either. I don't have all the answers to every situation that comes my way and threatens to stomp out my sparkly enthusiasm. But I'll share a secret with you. Here's one answer from Someone who knows a whole bunch more than I.

"Love suffers long and is kind. Love does not envy. Love does not parade itself, is not puffed up. Does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil. Does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth. Bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails." 1 Cor. 13:1-8

Love. Love one another. Do good unto others. Love. Let the love of God shine through you.

Does this mean that you'll never hurt if you just love everybody? Nope. It most certainly does not. It means that you have a choice to make. It means that you can choose to be hurt or hold a grudge or be angry. Or you can choose to love. To forgive.

But why chance loving the thing that hurt you? Because that's what Jesus did.

Life change moment: Realizing that He loves me. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment