Monday, December 21, 2009

It's Christmas Time in St. Louis

I suppose it's not really Christmas until you give the first present. Most of us will get at least one gift ahead of schedule. And this was the case for me on Friday afternoon when my two oldest nanny kids got home from school after their class Christmas parties and noon dismissal.

AJ, my 4 year old, said, "Nanelle, I got you something!" Naturally this was in his best whisper voice since his baby brother was sleeping. My eyes got big with excitement when I said, "Really?? That's so cool because I got you something too!" It was then he noticed the brightly wrapped gifts waiting for him on the table. But to be honest, he was more excited about giving me his present than he was about opening mine.

Life change moment: I realized this Christmas what beautiful givers children are.

We started opening our presents and when Jasmine and AJ were done they asked if they could open mine for me. ;) Of course I let them. :)

Giving has always been in my nature. Now I won't deny that receiving presents would be a daily occurrence for me if I had my way. But, since the world does not revolve around me, as I must constantly remind myself, I have limited myself to only expecting gifts during Birthday Month and at Christmas.

But giving? I love to give. I'm a great advocate of opening a couple presents before Christmas day, mostly because that lessens the amount of secrets I have to keep. But I simply adore the look on someones face when they open a gift that happens to be something they really wanted. And then I can't stop smiling.

In recounting her day, my sister told me a story about a little girl she had seen. The child was in a stroller and had a pacifier in her mouth. The little girl's mother said to her, "Do you want to make someone's day?" To this the little girl pulled the pacifier out of her mouth and flashed a sweet smile at my sister then promptly put the pacifier back in her mouth. :)

One smile can make a person's day. A smile is a gift we so often take for granted. The world is a much better place when we give. You don't have to give your money. You don't have to spend time at the mall or be frustrated at wrapping paper or ribbons. You don't have to search and search for the perfect gift. Though those things are appreciated. But I have found that one of the best gifts that you can give someone is your time. Your ear to hear them, your shoulder for them to lean on, your hand for them to hold.

The gift of self is the most valuable of all. And no one taught us that better than the One who gave Himself for us.

So, during the hustle and bustle of this holiday season, don't forget to slow down and smile. Make someone's day. :)

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that! Been anticipating your next post. Glad to see it finally here!

    Mele kalikimaka!

    ReplyDelete