Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The -est in Best

I am, by my own admission, a drama queen. Ask anyone who knows me. I can make a mountain out of a mole hill in a snap of my fingers. I can lift the pitch of my voice by six octaves in three seconds flat. I am the life of the party one day, and an emotion mess the next.

Along with these lovely traits of your average drama queen comes one more: the exaggerative use of superlatives.

Everything is the "most beautiful," the "biggest ever," the "mostest bestest in the whole world!" Just about every new purchase I make is the "absolute most gorgeous...." whatever I have happened to buy. {I'm also the world's b(est) shopper!} See? I like those -est words, and I am prone to use them in my everyday conversations with people I meet, work with, hang out with, etc.

But as I have already alluded, most of the time these -est words are an exaggeration. That jacket I just bought really isn't as beautiful as Princess Kate's wedding gown (or my own for that matter!). That girl I just met didn't have the longest eye lashes I've ever seen. My work day really wasn't the longest day ever.

Exaggerations.

There is only one thing I can think of that deserves those kinds of words, those lovely -est words. There is only one being who is actually the -est of everything.

His works, the most awesome.
His plan for me, the very best.
His love, the sweetest, kindest, most precious love I could ever experience.
His judgments, the most fierce.
His mercy, the strongest.
His grace, the deepest.

Today I was struck with the weight of how incredible He is; how much He actually loves me, and how that perfect love reaches to every part of my life. When I'm sad, He wraps me up in His love and comforts me. When I'm mad at the world, His love softens my heart and reminds me that I'm really not perfect. When I'm happy, His love lifts me higher. When I'm disappointed, His love picks my chin up off the ground. His love is the -est of all loves.

His mercies are completely fresh every single morning. Even if we make the biggest mistake ever, His mercy is greater. His grace reaches so much further past our worst mistakes. When we mess up, His grace reaches farther than our absolute lowest.

And yes, when the moment arises that He must judge, His judgments are firm and unmoving. His conviction the quickest and strongest. And when we have been broken, His healing is the sweetest, and most gentle.

I was reminded today that God loves me even in my darkest moments, even when I can't see a hand in front of my face. He has set a plan for me and has given me the strength to accomplish it to the best of my ability. But when those tough days come, that's when His strength is perfect in my weakness.

Biggest life change ever.

2 comments: